The Faculty of Architecture was established in 1922. Giorgi Chubinashvili, the first Rector of the Academy and the founder of the Georgian architectural school, empha- sized its significance in his inaugural speech.
The 90-year history of the Faculty of Architecture and the creative potential of the generations lead us to think that the school’s capabilities are inexhaustible. Since 1990, (after the fall of the ‘Iron Curtain’), graduates and students have made remarkable achievements on the international scene.
Today, the Tbilisi State Academy of Arts is involved in the unified educational system in Georgia. Taking into account UNESCO international standards and the Bologna Process requirements, a three cycle teaching system – Bachelor’s, Master’s and Doctoral degree levels – is being implemented at the Faculty of Architecture. Corresponding programs based on State educational standards have been developed in the following specializations: civil architecture, city planning, architectural design of colour and lighting, interior design and spatial design.
To quote the UNESCO Charter for Architectural Education: ‘Architectural education should not be considered as a completed process, but has to be perceived as a life-long development processes”. The model of training specialists implied here is based on the developmental perspectives of architectural and building technologies, is oriented towards a flexible educational system, and defines the regulatory study structure and educational process.
The Faculty of Architecture comprises three directions: