The library of the Tbilisi State Academy of Arts was established in 1924, two years after the foundation of the Georgian (now the Tbilisi State) Academy of Arts. Its initiator was Giorgi Chubinashvili, a distinguished art historian and the first Rector of the Academy.
The library of the Caucasian Fine Arts Society, which held remarkable ouvrages and folios and which at the time was located in the former Arshakuni Palace, became the basis of the book holdings of the Academy library. Later on, the library holdings expanded to include publications authored by the Academy professor, Gigo Gabashvili, as well as the private library of Henry Hrinevski, who in 1937 became a victim of political repression. Some of the books are adorned with signatures and bookplates by Henry Hrinevski, Elene Akhvlediani and other artists.
Among the early head librarians was Tatiana Kakabadze, who had spent several years in Paris together with Elene, David Kakabadze and Lado Gudiashvili.
Later, the library was headed by other dignified figures. Each of these contributed to establishing the character of the library and enriching its holdings.
In the 1930s, the librarians weren’t scared by the commission, concluding on the liquidation of ‘harmful’ literature and to determine the correct political and ideological titles in the book holdings specially set up in the Academy. Henry Hrinevski’s books survived, as did those of other ‘unneeded’ owners and authors.
The library has changed its location many times: it has been in the Conference Hall, in the Mirror Halls, and in what is now the Rector’s office. Today, it is located on the ground floor of the new block.
The Academy library currently contains more than 35,000 books: unique albums on the arts of various countries and epochs, various fields of arts, fine arts and applied arts fields, architecture and also art and special informational literature in various languages (Georgian, English, French, German, Russian, Chinese, Persian, and others). Drawings, photographs and various documents are also kept in the library in addition to books. Today, the library staff is working to increase the book holdings. In recent years, the library has significantly increased its holdings of foreign literature on architecture and fine and applied arts fields.
In addition to the above the library also hosts interesting educational projects, exhibitions, contests and lectures in cooperation with various foreign and local organizations, as well as hosting meetings with authors and artists.
The library assists various organizations, private individuals, artists, and Georgian and foreign researchers in providing them with electronic and printed media, information and visual materials searching and providing consultation.
Work on a computerized catalogue and library has started at the Academy library.
Opening hours: Monday – Saturday: 9:30 am – 5:00 pm.